Distracted driving in Peel Region is on the rise.
As per the Highway Traffic Act section 78.1(1), distracted driving has a penalty price of $400.00 and has a $90.00 victim surcharge making it a set fine of $490.00 and carries 3 demerit points. If you fight it in court and lose, the fine can go up to $1000.00!
This is a very hefty fine and one I’m sure you could do without.
Even though we understand the impact of distracted driving, it still happens every day.
According to CBC Toronto, this past Labour Day Long weekend, was an awful one. Ontario Provincial Police said 12 people were killed on the roads during the Labour Day weekend and warned distracted driving could be a major part of the problem.
“That is the deadliest weekend we’ve seen in 20 years,” said Sgt. Kerry Schmidt in a video posted on Twitter.
The OPP, despite warning drivers that they were launching a blitz on distracted driving during the long weekend, still issued more than 800 distracted or inattentive driving charges.
It is very important to understand what qualifies as ‘distracted driving’ as it is much more than just talking on your cell phone;
- Using hand-held cell phones; talking on the phone, texting or emailing (even while stopped at red lights)
- Using electronic devices like laptops, video games, cameras, or video entertainment displays
- Entering information on GPS units
- Reading printed material in the vehicle or writing or any sorts
- Personal grooming (brushing and flossing teeth, putting on makeup, styling hair, etc.)
Some solutions for you are:
- Have a passenger answer the phone, reply to a text, or pull over when safe and convenient to answer phone.
- Enter all GPS coordinates before departure or a gas stations or while on rest breaks, pulled over
- As for personal grooming, wake up earlier in the morning to ensure you are fully ready for the day prior to starting your car
If you do find yourself caught in this very unfortunate situation, give me a call at 647-877-5423.
I offer free half hour consultations, so call me with any questions, I am more than pleased to help!
XPolice Peel Region