Officers found suspected cannabis within reach of the driver
On July 14, 2019 at approximately 7:12 p.m., officers from the Manitoulin detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to a traffic complaint on Highway 6 in Merritt Township, Ont.
Officers conducted a traffic stop and located suspected cannabis within reach of the driver. An open container of alcohol was also located within the vehicle.
As a result of the investigation, a 33-year-old, from Elliot Lake, Ont. was issued Provincial Offences Notices for the following charges:
- Careless driving, contrary to section 130(1) of the Highway Traffic Act;
- Drive vehicle or boat with cannabis readily available, contrary to section 12(1) of the Cannabis Control Act 2017; and
- Driving motor vehicle with open container of liquor, contrary to section 32(1) of the Liquor Licence Act.
The OPP would like to remind the public that although cannabis is now legal to possess and consume (19 years or older), it is not legal to have cannabis in a vehicle or boat, unless one or both of the following conditions are met:
- Cannabis is in its original packaging and has not been opened; or
- Cannabis is packed in baggage that is fastened closed or is not otherwise readily available to any person in the vehicle or boat.
For more information, please visit Ontario Provincial Police.