Peel police are trying to locate the drivers of two motorcycles after a fiery crash in Mississauga yesterday afternoon.

Two motorcycles collided and one burst into flames on Dundas Street at the corner of Cedar Glen Gate around 1 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 11.

Ambulance, fire and police responded to the call, but no one was at the scene when emergency responders arrived.

“It appears the driver of the bike that caught on fire fled,” said Cst. Mark Fischer, adding police don’t have any information on the second motorcycle either.

Reports suggest the driver of the motorcycle was seen fleeing the scene of the accident by hopping on another bike.

There are no known injuries at this time.

The one bike was so badly damaged in the fire police don’t have a licence plate number to go on, Fischer said. The motorcycle will be seized as part of the ongoing investigation.

The crash comes amidst sightings and complaints in Mississauga about a “mob” of a hundred or more motorcycles swarming around cars, weaving through traffic and running red lights.

In a video shot by Mississauga News freelance photographer Pascal Marchand about 15 minutes before the crash on Dundas Street, a large group of motorcycles can be seen heading south along Erin Mills Parkway, doing wheelies and swarming around cars to get through the intersection at Erin Centre Boulevard. At least one motorcycle can be seen jumping onto the sidewalk to get past the vehicles stopped at the lights.

They were seen turning left and heading east on Eglinton Avenue.

Fischer said most of the motorcycles either didn’t have licence plates or had their plates obscured.

“It’s very dangerous,” Fischer said of the motorcycles, calling it a group mentality.

It’s unknown where this group of motorcycles started, Fischer said, but reports suggest they have moved east into Toronto, where they were seen on the Gardiner.

Toronto police were alerted to what had transpired in Mississauga and a police spokesperson said a group of motorcyclists were spotted in the city around 1:30 p.m. near Lake Shore Boulevard and British Columbia Road.

“We had some reports and put out a hazard call which we normally do when there’s large groups or a situation like an open manhole cover,” said police spokesperson Craig Brister. “But at this time there are no arrests.”

With files from Rahul Gupta, Toronto

Source: The Mississauga News