Kingston police badge in the foreground, with a police vehicle in the blurred background.

Kingston Police Stock photos in Kingston, Ont. on Thursday January 21, 2016. Steph Crosier/Kingston Whig-Standard/Postmedia Network

With the help of Military Police, Kingston Police arrested a 31-year-old North York man after they alleged that he lost control of his SUV while under the influence of drugs.

Kingston Police received multiple 911 calls around 7 p.m. on Sunday reporting a white Mitsubishi speeding along Highway 2 near Canadian Forces Base Kingston and then crashing into a ditch near Barriefield.

The driver fled and hid in a nearby building, belonging to St. Mark’s Anglican Church.

With help from nearby military personnel, Military Police and the church’s priest, Kingston Police were able to apprehend the suspect for initially failing to remain at the scene of a collision.

The suspect’s actions were peculiar, police said, as he was found “sitting in a chair with his shoes off.”

Police believe the suspect was using crystal methamphetamine.

Kingston Police officers charged the man with impaired driving while under the influence of drugs after finding drug paraphernalia in the abandoned vehicle.

The man was also charged with breach of probation, and was later released on a promise to appear at a future court date. If found guilty, impaired driving by drug carries the same penalties and fines as impaired driving by alcohol.

Impaired driving

A lone female driver, who police said showed signs of drinking and subsequently failed a roadside demand, was arrested for impaired driving early Sunday morning.

Military Police originally saw a white Fiat speed past them without its headlights on, eastbound on Highway 2. The MPs were able to eventually stop the vehicle at Highway 15 and Grenadier Drive. The 24-year-old female driver from Amherstview was transferred into Kingston Police custody and was charged after they determined she had three times the legal limit of alcohol in her bloodstream.

Her driver’s licence was automatically suspended for 90 days and she is facing a one-year suspension if convicted. The vehicle was seized and impounded for seven days, with the accused being responsible for all fees and fines.

Source: The Kingston Whig-Standard