Toronto Star photo

Two people are dead after a three-vehicle collision in Mississauga Sunday evening, police said.

Eastbound lanes on Hwy. 401, closed Monday morning, have started to open up after crews cleaned up the scene. Police continue to investigate.

As of 10:30 a.m., the OPP says express lanes have opened up at Hurontario. Drivers can continue to access the collectors lanes at Hwy. 410 and Hwy. 403 ramps. Collectors lanes are closed beyond that, however, said OPP spokesperson Sgt. Kerry Schmidt.

The collision occurred at around 9:30 p.m. and involved three vehicles, including a transport truck, on Hwy. 401 near Dixie Rd.

Initial reports indicated a red Corvette driving eastbound on the 401 was making an aggressive lane change prior to clipping the transport truck, Schmidt said.

When the vehicles collided, the transport truck went over the concrete wall, rolled over in the express lanes and caught on fire, he said. He added there was “massive” damage to the median between the express and collectors lanes.

A third vehicle, a silver Mazda, sustained “extensive” damage, he said.

Schmidt said the two occupants of the Corvette were taken to hospital, where the 34-year-old driver was pronounced dead. One of the two occupants in the other damaged vehicle, a 77-year-old woman, also died in hospital.

Three people who were taken to hospital as a result of the collision have since been treated and released, Schmidt said.

As a result of the collision, some people drove the wrong way on the highway or on green spaces to try to get around it, Peel police said on Twitter Sunday night.

Schmidt said police are looking to speak to witnesses or people who might have dashcam footage of the crash. He asked anyone with information to contact Port Credit OPP at 905-278-6131.

“Obviously we want to provide answers to the families who are now grieving the loss of loved ones, and try to prevent this kind of sad situation from happening anytime again,” he said.

Elsewhere in the GTA, northbound lanes of Highway 400 at Major Mackenzie in Vaughan were closed Monday morning due to a police investigation. They have since re-opened.

York regional police say they found an injured man on the highway after 5 a.m. Monday morning. He is currently in hospital in serious condition, police said. It is unknown how he sustained his injuries.

With files from Temur Durrani

Source: The Toronto Star