The City of Kawartha Lakes OPP charged two drivers with alcohol-related offences Wednesday night.
Police stopped a vehicle around 8:40 PM on Kawartha Lakes Road 36 for an alleged Highway Traffic Act (HTA) infraction. After further investigation, police concluded the driver was under the influence of alcohol.
Benjamin Ariza, 24-years-old of Peterborough, was arrested and subsequently charged with operation while impaired with a blood-alcohol concentration over 80.
A couple hours later, police stopped another vehicle on Highway 35 near Lifford Road for an alleged HTA infraction. Police say the vehicle fled from the scene but was located later in a ditch near Golf Course Road.
Clayton Cotter, 26-years-old of Cameron in the City of Kawartha Lakes, was arrested and charged with:
- Operation while impaired with a blood-alcohol concentration of 80-plus
- Dangerous operation of a motor vehicle
- Flight from a peace officer
- Failure or refusal to comply with a demand
- Racing a motor vehicle with excessive speed
Both accused are scheduled to appear in court in Lindsay on June 20.
Source: Global News